My husband and I decided to take some of the money we would have spent on our family this year and instead spend it on others. We’ve always contributed to gift projects like Angel Tree, and helped to support local families in need, but we wanted to do something that would get our kids involved in a more direct way.
After careful thought and prayer we decided to help the homeless by putting together a care packages full of useful items and then personally giving them to 5 people we find living on the street.
Over the last few weeks we’ve talked about the sorts of things that we would like to have if we were homeless. I’m so proud of my kids for coming up with a very creative list of items. This last Sunday we went shopping using the list we had created. We let our kids choose themselves what they wanted or didn’t want to include. The only rule was to stay under $25. We were amazed at what we were able to purchase for $25. For instance one of the care packages has:
- Super cute Christmas Blanket
- 4 waterless toothbrushes
- Package of Baby wipes
- Hand sanitizer
- 12 individually wrapped pastries or crackers
- 3 sets of plasticware
- Can of vienna sausage
- Can of Soup
- 2 Carabiner clips
- Plastic Shower Curtain
- and one mesh bag to hold it all
Tonight we took time to wrap and assemble each care package so it would be special, fun and unique to the person who receives it. Thursday, on Christmas Eve Day, we will hop in the car and begin our search for 5 homeless people to give our gifts to. I have to be honest, I’m a little nervous, so I’m asking for your prayer.
Please pray that
- God would direct us to the right 5 people
- Our choices of items would be perfect for each person
- We would clearly show the love of Jesus to each person we meet
- As we find each person, we would not have to turn others away
- We would be safe
- That we will remember every day how blessed we are
Thank you so much.